Newbie - Handling with git - app.update - app.contribute

After following your guidelines I made a pull request on Github Desktop and looked on giithub.com whether it worked.
Issues · Superalgos/Superalgos · GitHub
But there was no file I submitted.
So somehow I arranged to commit the file of my profile itself and that worked with no mistakes. Now I am awaiting the approvement by an admin.

I don’t know github desktop.
In my workflow I push my commits from VScode to my fork in github.
Then in github under my fork I open a PR (check the braches are correct i.e. develop → develop)
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have an open PR then you should wait for it to be merged.
Otherwise if you do another PR while you already have one open, then githup will group them

This is you I think

I’m noticing there are starting to be some more frequent occurrences of merge conflicts. Here is a reference article to help anyone needing to work through some conflicts

Resolve merge conflicts on GitHub

1 Like

Question:
What is the optimum way one can check that a pull request has been merged to the develop branch (translations)?

Question background info:
I keep having various problems with app.update mostly, resulting in spending more time trying to fix them than translating.

Having read harrellbm’s initial post (and not only) i suspect that the cause of these problems is that i keep translating before my previous Pull Requests , merge with develop branch. So any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Regards,
Nik

You should receive an emai from Github, check if you are subscribed, with clearly written that your PR is merged.

The #number is your PR number

1 Like

Another dependable place to go check the status of your PR is at the main GitHub repository.

First click on the pull request tabs:

Then you will see all the active pull requests currently waiting for review at the main Superalgos repository.

You can then find your PR and look at it and see if there are any messages or other things that might be keeping it from getting merged.

If you do not see it here. Then that means it has either been merge, or it did not get posted to the main repo. You can verify that it has been merged by changing the filter at the top of the list from “open” to “merged”. Then you will see all the merged Pull requests like this:

Now you can check for your PR and make sure that is has been merged.

Note: examples are from the GitHub mobile app. Steps are the same in the GitHub website.

THANKS A LOT ! I did that kind of explanation many times this last month to help my new team members and other newbies…but definitely your explanation is the most clear and complete that i have encountered so far…so…i know now where to redirect newbies to learn this basic git concepts! Gracias!

1 Like

thanks! this is very useful…i will prevent me from deleting fork and refork and reclone!

Update submodules
With the new addition of submodules. It make be necessary to update all of your local submodules manually.

You can achieve this by running:

git pull upstream develop --recurse-submodules=on-demand

in the superproject folder (Superalgos base folder) or just:

–recurse-submodules to force-pull

Reset fork to Main repo
Also so it’s easy to find here are the steps to rest your fork to the main repository if needed.

1. define the original repo as “upstream” with

git remote add upstream /url/to/original/repo

1. ensures current branch is develop

git checkout develop

1. pulls all new commits made to upstream/develop

git pull upstream develop

1. this will delete all your local changes to master

git reset --hard upstream/develop

1. take care, this will delete all your changes on your forked master

git push origin develop --force

Is it our repo or SA repo?

The main SA repo. So upstream will point to the main SA repo and origin will point to your fork

I always used VSCode to contribute to the develop branch of SA.
Now, with the latest changes, what would be the correct workflow in VSCode using this new feature?

You can use the same workflow. The one exception is that now with the plugins being split into their own repositories you will need to open the individual folder in VSCode to manage contributions to those repos.

So for example, if you make a change to your profile and save it. It will not show up in VSCode if you have the main repo open. But if you open to governance folder VSCode will then open the governance repo and then you will see the change and can contribute it as usual.

Personally I have been opening two windows of VSCode. One in the main repo and one in the sub repo I am working with. that way I can see everything at once.